Monday, May 31, 2010

Week 1 GSoC Update

Last week was the first of the Google Summer of Code. I spent most of the week in a Bayesian econometrics class led by John Geweke and studying for a comprehensive exam that I take this week, so progress on statsmodels was rather slow. That said, I have been able to take care of some low hanging fruit.

There are a few name changes:

statsmodels/family -> statsmodels/families
statsmodels/lib/io.py -> statsmodels/iolib/foreign.py

Also Vincent has done a good bit of work on improving our output using the SimpleTable class from econpy. I will post some examples over the coming weeks, but SimpleTable provides an easy way to make tables in ASCII text, HTML, or LaTeX. The SimpleTable class has been moved

statsmodels/sandbox/ouput.py -> statsmodels/iolib/table.py

Beyond the renames, I have removed the soft dependency on RPy for running our tests in favor of hard-coded results, refactored our tests, and added a few additional ones along the way.

We are also making an effort to keep our online documentation synced with the current trunk. The biggest change to our documentation is the addition of a developer's page for those who might like to get involved. As always, please report problems with the docs on either the scipy-user list or join in the discussions of statsmodels, pandas, larry, and other topics on statistics and Python at the pystatsmodels Google group.

No comments:

Post a Comment